Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hidemi's Rambling No.236

Way back in an episode of ‘LOST’, Charlie made a list of the best things that happened in his life. One of his best things happened to me, too. When I lived in California, I would often visit Disneyland Hotel, as it was only a few blocks away from the place I lived. One day I had a meal there and went into the rest room. There was a cleaning lady working at the washbowl. I have the habit of thanking and nodding to them and I did so to her at the time as usual. Our eyes met and she gazed at me. I was about to wash my hands but her gaze stopped me. I was puzzled and watched her. She said, ‘You’re number one.’ It was one of the most perplexing experiences of my life. That has mystified me ever since. In Charlie’s case, it was obvious. But in mine, it was ambiguous through and through. I’m number one of what? When? I haven’t seen any sign of number one concerning me…