Friday, December 31, 2010

Hidemi's Rambling No.285

Japanese people spend New Year's Eve cleaning. Basically, they spend the closing days of the year on cleaning frantically because somehow they need to clean up the house thoroughly and wash the car before the new year comes. The cleaning reaches the climax on New Year's Eve. Mothers also need to prepare the special meal for New Year's. The pressure that everything has to be done by New Year makes them prickly all day. They often take it out to someone in their families. So, New Year's Eve is a day of cleaning and fighting in Japan. I recall few New Year's Eves in my childhood that I managed to escape my mother's scolding. I sincerely wanted to get rid of that custom, and have firmly decided not to clean up on New Year's Eve. Even so, every year I find myself cleaning up somewhere in my apartment in spite of myself. I did it today, too. Does DNA work in this act...?