Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hidemi's Rambling No.295

I’ve written for several times that I’m such an avid fan of Formula One. With 36 days to go for the new season, a few teams launched their new cars and the test session has been under way. I check the result on the Internet, fascinated by the beautiful new cars. Japan experienced the Formula One boom from late 1980s to early 1990s. Now, there is not a vestige of it. While soccer and martial arts are very popular in Japan, I seldom hear people talking about Formula One these days. Since the boom was gone, a TV broadcast for the qualifying session has been confined to a short digest. The race is recorded and aired past midnight on Sundays, the slot most people don’t watch TV. It’s getting unpopular year after year and the qualifying isn’t even aired at all in the area I’m moving to. I’m afraid that commercial broadcasting stops airing Formula One altogether. It seems that soon I will end up watching it on expensive cable TV. Formula One is really costly, through and through…