Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hidemi's Rambling No.394

The region I live in is renowned for heavy snowfall. Until ten days ago though, we’d had a fine day every three or four days. Now, that pattern has been finally broken. It has been snowing heavily everyday, all day long. The snow lies higher than my own height. Basically I like snow so much, and I thought I would have no problem living in a heavy snowfall area. But I’ve felt pressed and closed by snow day by day lately. The other night, I woke up with a sudden sense of claustrophobia at 2 a.m. I felt snow all over my apartment building and yet still falling from the sky. Picturing myself stuck in the snow completely, I became unable to breathe and a cold sweat poured off my face. Fortunately, the panic was gone after I sat on my bed and paced the hallway for a while. Not to repeat that terrifying experience, I’m planning to get out of this town for a day to a city down the mountain, which has usually nice weather without snow. As the local trains stop running almost everyday due to snow, the only way to get out for me is to take a bullet train. It hardly stops because of good maintenance. And for that, it costs much more. Snow has begun to eat away my money…