Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hidemi’s Rambling No.444

MusicMarketplace.com


My parents never approve of my career as a musician and keep attacking me for it, but I visit them every second year or so as a nice gesture. When I return home, I do so without telling them beforehand. I’ve learned the tactics from too many miserable visits I made in the past, in which they had prepared numerous ways to criticize me for being a musician once they knew my homecoming. Not to give them time for a plan to attack me, I call them near their home pretending I’m accidentally visiting the area and have spare time to drop by although I’ve carefully planned the trip for months. I did that last week. It took me seven hours to get to my hometown, changing from a plane to a bus, and then to a train. I called my parents only to find out that they were out with my younger sister who now lives abroad and happened to return home. I couldn’t come home as my parents were occupied with my sister yet again. Since my partner was also going to visit his father’s home, I joined him instead. Not like my parents, his father is supportive for him and is always nice to me. But on this particular occasion, his father criticized our ways of living as musicians. He didn’t stop there and began to put down our new apartment and its location even if he had never been there. I didn’t understand what was going on. Do people pick up groundless slander when they get old? I left with disappointment for the hotel I had booked for the night. The hotel was situated next to a movie theme park. In the room, my most favorite movie, ‘Back to the Future’ was free to watch. I watched it again over and over during the stay and that cheered me up. Parents used to be young with full of hope. We could get along with them if we went back time…

MusicMarketplace.com