Monday, January 7, 2013

Hidemi’s Rambling No.449

MusicMarketplace.com


When I graduated from high school, my parents and my sister took the opportunity to go on our first trip abroad. We joined a two-week tour of Europe. To take the international flight, we needed to take a domestic flight from a local airport. It was my first flight since I was little. Before taking off, my mother bragged about me entering college to the flight attendants. They congratulated and returned with a small gift and a card that they had written their words together in the galley. I had already had a tendency to be too much scared of a thrill ride by then, and when the plane took off, I found myself screaming. The flight attendants rushed to me, asking if I was all right. Other passengers were looking at me and I was totally embarrassed. I tried taking some comfort in the fact that the plane was near empty and I would never see those few other passengers again in my life. The plane landed at the international airport where we were going to change planes. We met our tour guide at the lobby and he gathered all members of the tour to let us make the acquaintance of each other. There were twelve members besides us. We departed without my screaming this time, and one of the tour members approached me. She was traveling with her daughter who said she knew me. Although I had never seen her before, she knew me so well even my name. It turned out that she was one year younger at the same school I attended. I used to be in a drama club of the school and often appear in school plays. I was somewhat famous at school and that was why she recognized me. She also mentioned that we were on the same domestic flight before this, which meant they were among the few who witnessed my embarrassment. I never thought there was someone who knew me on a near-empty plane. My feeble comfort that I would never see them again shattered and I was to travel with the ones who saw my clumsy panic for two weeks. From the very beginning of the trip, embarrassment after embarrassment chased me…

MusicMarketplace.com