Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hidemi’s Rambling No.454

MusicMarketplace.com


The next destination of our fourteen-day trip was Spain. We visited the Prado Museum as the tour package’s itinerary. Since we were a bumpkin family from an old-fashioned town, we didn’t appreciate art so much. We got out of the museum quickly and waited for the other tour members on the bench outside. It was a beautiful sunny day and I saw the blue sky above me. I had never seen such a clear, vivid blue sky in my life. The blue sky I knew in Japan was somewhat whitish blue while here in Spin, the blue was the truly deep blue like paint. Then we went to the head store of Loewe by a local bus. The bus was quite crowded and I was standing. A middle-aged local woman with three kids was standing next to me and she bumped against me when the bus stopped short at the red signal. She was a very polite, amiable woman and apologized to me with a warm smile. She and her kids got off the bus and I found my bag’s clasp was open. I looked inside and my wallet was gone. The middle-aged woman was a pickpocket. Her bumping, her apology and the kids were all part of her scheme. My wallet was a cheap vinyl one for a kid use but inside I had about $100 that was my entire allowance for this trip. I was shocked, but the first thing in my mind was how hard my parents would lash me. I searched every possible way not to tell my parents and concluded I would have to tell them soon or later, as I had no money for me for the remaining ten days. Now the timing was vital. I needed to seize the moment when my parents were in a good mood. We arrived at the Loewe store and my parents allowed me to choose a bag that they were going to buy for me. The budget was limited and they told me to add my allowance if my choice exceeded their budget. I had no choice but to tell the truth. As I had expected, my mother got furious at me, cursing me for being so careless and stupid. She repeated “You’re such a fool!” over and over. When my parents asked me how much I had been stolen, I said $50 because $100 meant they would kill me. They started guessing and discussing how much I had had in my wallet. Their main focus was simply whether or not it was over $100. In the end, I got countless rebukes and the smallest purse in the store…

MusicMarketplace.com