Friday, October 25, 2013

Hidemi’s Rambling No.491

MusicMarketplace.com


A couple of weeks after I set about trying to live in a city taste at home when I was a junior high student, one thing led to another and I found myself throwing a slumber party at my house with the girls in the cool group. I declared my family that the time to show the interim result of our effort for a city taste had come. I forbade my mother to work and farm on the field for two days. I ordered her to concentrate on treating the guests and to hide everything cheap and uncool in the house. For my father, I warned him not to be caught wearing muddy work clothes when he came from the field. Because of my strict instructions, my house had turned to a different place by the time I took the girls into. It was tidy, as unsightly things in the house had been crushed into an unused room. My father welcomed the girls with his tone of voice being one octave lower. The gorgeous meal was on the dinner table, as my mother had ordered a catered dinner and served it pretending she had cooked it. My grandparents were hiding in their room and holding their breath, as my mother had asked them not to spoil my plan. For breakfast, slices of toasted bread were served in a pretty basket while my family always had rice for breakfast. I had no idea where my mother had brought them out, but all the dishes and the chinaware including the breadbasket were new to me. Next to the dining area where we were having breakfast was the living room. Since we could see the room through the sideboard, my mother was sitting on a couch in the living room, apparently posing. She was watching an academic TV show that she had never watched, while sipping tea from a cup with a saucer that she had never done. Her legs were crossed and her hand was trembling for tension. She was acting a rich housewife with all her force. To see off the girls, I walked to the bus stop with them. It was a fifteen-minute walk and they asked me if I really walked this much every day for school. It seemed unbelievable to them. Although I was totally used to walking to the bus stop, it was too far for them and they got in low spirits. I had forgotten that they all lived close to a bus stop or a train station as the city girls. I did my best to impress them but I simply couldn’t adapt a city taste to the unfavorable remote location of my house…

MusicMarketplace.com