Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hidemi's Rambling No.355

At the private abacus school I attended in my childhood, my archrival was a girl named Junko. She was one of five other third-graders that joined the school with me. The abacus calculation association held a certificate examination three times a year and the official grade was given on passing. The smaller the class number, the higher the grade. After we learned basic skills for half a year, we started to practice timed sessions to simulate a certificate examination. Our first examination was for the sixth class that was the lowest grade. Out of six newcomers, only Junko and I passed. While other kids usually passed the exam after a few trials, both of us passed each exam easily on our first trial and attained the third class exceptionally fast. It was believed that someone who had reached the third class without a single failure would fail to get the second class for many trials. I was conceited enough to be confident to pass for the second class on my first trial. But the belief was true and both Junko and I failed the exam for the first time. Then, the struggle began. The second class was an impregnable fortress. We kept failing together exam after exam. Other kids had started whispering which one of us could pass first. Since no student of the school held the second class, I really got into it to prove that I was the best. On my fourth trial, I was warming up at home with my father’s help guiltily while keeping Junko waiting, who kindly dropped by my house to go to the exam together. The sly attempt worked and only I passed. For the first time, I held the higher class than Junko. With the whole school shouting in surprise on the announcement, Junko gave me a forced smile and said, “Congratulations.” I can’t forget that smile. I was burned out completely and quit the school. Junko continued, passed for the second class on the next exam, and achieved the first class eventually. It seemed I won one time, but after all, it was Junko who won…