Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hidemi's Rambling No.390

In the region I moved in, it stops snowing every three or four days and we have a fine day. On a day like that, I put on rubber boots and walk for twenty minutes to the nearest grocery store for shopping. Between the shoveled snow walls that stand higher than my own height, there’s a narrow path leading to the store. I walk through it looking up and down busily, not to slip and not to take a blow from a lump of snow dropping off the tree. Long icicles are hanging under the eaves of houses and every time I see them, I can hear the game-over sound effects for Mario Brothers in my head. Although I’ve been living in the snow for over a month now, the beauty of the sight still takes my breath away. The snow-covered distant mountains, trees and ground all make me feel like I’m in heaven. It takes only a few minutes to sweat when walking on a snowy path. It’s twice as hard as walking on a normal road. After I finally arrive at the grocery store, I usually check the deli counter. Foods of better quality and larger quantity than the ones in the city sell at the same price as the city’s. Because I get them by an irresistible urge, my large new freezer I’d bought for life in here is already full. My habit of getting more food than I can consume doesn’t change wherever I live…