Saturday, August 10, 2013

Hidemi’s Rambling No.480

MusicMarketplace.com


Since I started junior high, almost every move of mine had invited mockery for a couple of months and I seriously needed to put an end to it. I analyzed the source of mockery. It seemed my unsophisticated looks and my common sense, that had been cultivated in an old-fashioned stingy family living in an out-of-the-way hamlet, were too different from other students’ and that caused ridicule. To stop being laughed, I had to become urbane and cool somehow. One day, a lecture on the school regulations was given by the school morals teacher. He cited two conducts as the most disorderly: to thin a uniform leather bag by pouring hot water in it, and to wear uniform indoor shoes with their ends folded inside. I thought that was it. I found the way to be cool at school. As soon as I came home from school, I poured hot water into my uniform bag in the bathroom while hearing my mother saying to my sister, “Look! She has gone mad at last by going to that weird school every day!” and put the bag under the heavy shelves all night. By the next morning, the leather had shrunk and an illegal thin bag was completed. My fight-back against contempt has begun. I showed up at school dangling the thin bag and stepping on the ends of my indoor shoes with my heels. I was the first one among the first-year students to breach the school rules, and I was thus supposed to be the coolest girl. Oddly though, nothing changed and they treated me the same way as before. I looked at myself carefully and found a big fat vinyl bag beside my thin bag. Because my bag was too thin to hold all necessary stuff for school, I had to put my stuff in my supplementary uniform bag that was filled to bursting as a result. It looked so uncool. The first game plan of my battle failed miserably…

MusicMarketplace.com