Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hidemi’s Rambling No.482

MusicMarketplace.com


To participate an extracurricular activity at junior high, the students needed to submit the parent’s consent paper. I asked my mother for one since I had decided to join the drama club. When I said that I had chosen an extracurricular activity, she was excited and eager to know which one. She had pictured me in various extracurricular activities and been very interested in my choice. I asked her which one she had wanted for me to choose and she said, “Any activity is fine, except one!” She told me that she had one particular activity she would reject in her mind, but other than that one, she would be willing to agree. “A drama club!” I proudly declared. She was too astounded to speak. Her glow in her eyes quickly vanished and great disappointment replaced it. It seemed I had uttered the exact one she had in her mind. Her particular activity to reject was a drama club. She whimpered, “Why…? Why are you always doing exactly what I want the least?” She couldn’t believe I chose a drama club of all activities. As I asked what was wrong with it, she told me about her schooldays. She had joined every single extracurricular activity of her school, which she was proud because she said she earned large experience by that, while she sounded just a quitter to me. Even then, she said, she excluded the drama club and it was the only activity she didn’t join. According to her, a drama club was a haunt of delinquent students and decent students wouldn’t near it. She refused to sign the parent’s consent paper for me. But she couldn’t change my iron determination and I kept pestering her to sign the paper. A few days later, she was overcome by my persistent, clamorous demand and signed reluctantly. At last, I was no longer an interim member, and now I was supposed to be cool at school as a formal member of the drama club. The thing was, the fact that the star students in the drama club looked ordinary and the activities were boring had spread among other students by then. The fever for the drama club had passed away. On the contrary, they thought only weird students could take sober activities in the drama club. Practicing voice exercises every day as a formal member, I realized this wasn’t the solution to be cool after all. I had to figure out yet another way…

MusicMarketplace.com