Saturday, August 31, 2013

Hidemi’s Rambling No.483

MusicMarketplace.com


Cheap clothes are squashed into every closet in my small apartment. I can’t stop buying clothes that are being sold over 70% off, and I can’t throw away my old clothes either, all because I’m too cheap. Lately, more and more online stores have carried a sale and reduced the price by more than 70%. The big price reduction is poured out of a computer and assaults me. As a result, my wardrobe has been getting bigger while there isn’t any more room to store my clothes. It appears that I buy new clothes not because I need them but because I want to get 70% or more off. I pay for the reduced prices not for the clothes themselves and put the cart before the horse, as the saying goes. I love the feeling to have saved a lot of money although I could have saved more money if I didn’t buy in the first place. Whenever I find a rack of clearance items at a boutique in a mall, I walk in straight to the rack and ransack. Clearance clothes are generally what are left unsold because they didn’t attract customers. Unpopular clothes in Japan mean my favorite. Japanese people like dim colors with vague patterns, while I like red and orange with big clear patterns such as flowers. To me, the clearance rack is a collection of treasure. I used to get clothes at a supermarket but now I shop at a boutique, as it has even lower prices. The other day at a boutique, I found a box of free hangers that had a sign saying ‘Take freely’. Without buying anything there, I asked a prim saleswoman if I could take some. “Go right ahead,” she said, but laughing. Her superior attitude made me feel poor. It’s unclear whether or not I improved my social status by shopping at a boutique instead of a supermarket, but I certainly remain lowly either way…

MusicMarketplace.com