Friday, July 16, 2010

Hidemi's Rambling No.213

The summer break has started in Japanese schools. It’s about 40 days long and followed by the second term. When I was a student, schools imposed tons of homework as a common practice. It was an enormous amount with which you would deal everyday to finish. Because I was a negligent student, I used to spend the whole summer break without doing my homework until the last day of the break every year. As a result, I had to stay up all night on the last day, weeping and regretting. My homework would become a family matter because my confession of unfinished homework was made to my parents on the last night of the break. For its considerable amount, my parents had to get down to my homework right away without finishing to scold me as much as they liked. My mother's strong vanity couldn't afford embarrassment that I would be scolded by the teacher in front of the class for not having done my homework. Continuously reprimanding me, my parents would help my homework all night…