Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hidemi's Rambling No.131

Curry rice is the most popular dish in Japan. Probably people have it at least every ten days. It’s a thick curry stew put over rice. It’s regarded as a kid’s favorite, but it used to be my least favorite. My parents were busy for work as farmers and cooking was my grandmother’s task. She was as stingy as my grandfather was and she would stretch curry by thinning it with water. As a result, the curry of our family was like curry-flavored hot water that drowned rice. When I got older, I realized that I’d had the wrong curry rice and the right one existed, and it became my favorite. Today, I cooked curry rice. For dieting, and saving money, I put it over barley instead of rice. Rice is ironically expensive in Japan because the government controls its price. Yuck. But barley didn’t fill my stomach so well and left me hungry. So I ate some snacks after finishing it. Am I really dieting…?