Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hidemi's Rambling No.139

Yesterday was my best friend’s birthday. We shared a favorite band and got along when we were seniors in high school. Even after she moved out of town for college, we got together at least once a year. Then, I moved to Tokyo for music, and she visited me once a year at my wretched apartment. While my career hit rock bottom for years, she sent me an enormous amount of postcards for encouragement and kept visiting me with lots of expensive gifts. As my career had somehow started picking up a little gradually, our friendship had taken on a different aspect, though. We had less and less in common to talk about because by then, she had become a surgeon and I was a musician. She stopped visiting me, her postcards got fewer and she didn’t write back anymore after I moved to the U.S. I reached to her by her e-mail address that she had given me, but soon she changed it. I finally got the message. She didn’t want me to be her friend. I couldn’t, still can’t, figure out how I offended her so badly in the course of those years. We’ve been out of touch for many years, but every year on her birthday, I can’t help thinking of her…