Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hidemi's Rambling No.135

One day, when I visited my grandparents’ house, my grandmother on my mother’s side asked me to sing a song. I sang the then popular song with dancing in front of my grandparents and my parents. I was about seven or eight years old and it was just casual singing. While everybody was laughing, my grandmother alone seemed very impressed. She seriously said to me, ‘You should become a singer when you grow up.’ And turning to my mother, she said to her, ‘You should make her a singer.’ Although my mother shrugged it off as rubbish, there was no joke in her suggestion. She herself loved singing. In her later years, she learned Japanese old traditional singing, which had a unique, slow melody on a Chinese old poem. She often told people around her, including me, that she wanted to be skilled at singing one particular song for celebration so that she could sing it at my wedding. Eventually, I became a singer, but she passed away last September without singing at my wedding because I still stay single…